Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Tobin O’Connor Concino P.C. Practicality in Practice
  • ~ Washington DC Business Law Attorneys ~

Options for Securing a Green Card

If you are seeking United States citizenship, you have three main routes to choose from to achieve your goals. You can seek citizenship through family attachment, through employment or investment, and through refugee or asylee status.

Contact the law offices ofTobin O’Connor Concino P.C. to receive expert advice to help you secure your green card. Acquiring proper legal representation and following correct protocols will go a long way toward ensuring your U.S. citizenship.

Family Green Card Options

Family members of U.S. citizens may be eligible for a green card. Green cards are given to applicants on a preferential basis, and applicants may have to wait for visas to become available. High-preference family members include:

  • Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, defined as spouses, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and parents of citizens over 21 years of age.

Medium-preference family members include:

  • Relatives of U.S. citizens, including unmarried children over 21 years of age, married children of any age, and brothers and sisters of citizens over 21 years of age.

Low-preference family members include:

  • Abovementioned family members of current green card holders.
  • Additionally, green cards may be given to K-visa holders, children of foreign diplomats born in the United States, widow(er)s of U.S. citizens or V-class non-immigrants.

Employment Green Card Options

Securing a green card based on employment requires a standing job offer, a significant capital investment, or the filing of a self-petition, which requires the granting of a National Interest Waiver or demonstration of extraordinary ability. This often requires the assistance of a qualified legal representative.

Additionally, certain specialized jobs allow individuals to secure a green card more easily. These include physicians, religious workers, employees of international organizations, broadcasters and certain translators.

Refugee/Asylee Green Card Options

If you are granted asylum in the United States, you will be able to apply for a green card one year after receiving asylum status. If you enter the United States as a refugee or family member of a U.S. refugee, you may apply for a green card one year after entering into the United States.

To discuss how we may help you achieve your legal objectives, contact Tobin O’Connor Concino P.C. We can be your best resource, and we look forward to serving you.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation